Saturday, January 21, 2012

Wanders around the Downtown Eastside, Vancouver


This is a portrait of Ken and his lovely dog Amber who he got as a puppy. I was walking around the area of Carral street with my camera. I was in a whimsical mood, one of those days when you can slow down, look at the world, have a chat, take some photos. Something about the companionship of Ken and Amber struck me, so I asked if I could take his photograph. He agreed rather graciously and I took about 6 or 7 photographs. After the photographs I sat next to Ken and asked a little about him and his life.
He disclosed that he was in fact an addict, heroin I believe, although now he is on methadone and lives quietly these days.
He gave me a brief run down on the activities of the corner we were sitting at, "Everything can be bought for $10 he explained, this street based economy, flap of heroin $10. roch of crack cocaine $10.00, pack of black market cigarettes $10.00 and even a sexual act such as a BJ, $10.00.
I was amazed at how much was going on, but I could not see it, until it was explained to me. I thanked him and moved on with my walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment